Sunday, January 13, 2008

Surly's Little Helper

So anyway.

I went to the doctors on Friday for a review of my meds. It's been three months now since I went mental, and I needed to see him to carry on renewing my prescriptions. As I'm not doing so well currently, and should apparently be "better" by now, a couple of suggestions were made.

Firstly, I was offered Effexor. Um, no thanks. Isn't that the one, I asked, that I've read loads of really scary things about? Oh, no, smiled the doctor. It's all fine now! They've fixed all that!

I declined. As fun as weight gain, addiction and increased likelihood of suicide might be, I'd really rather go without. You know. Just for now.

So, in order to get me through our upcoming trip to Florida, itwas suggested that I double the meds I'm on now. Fine, thought I. I've been on them for a while, with no discernible side effects. What can the difference be? I won't even notice.

Wrong.

Kids, I am stoned. I mean, you could make me watch "Beaches" intercut with pictures of dying puppies and I wouldn't even flinch. I am extremely, um, level. It's odd, and a little bit interesting. I might watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest later, just to see if I can still feel anything.

Wheee!

10 Comments:

Blogger GreatSheElephant chimed in with...

Clearly not on the same stuff as me then because when they doubled mine I flew into a psychotic rage at the slightest provocation.

13 January, 2008 19:47  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

Take care Surls. Good luck for your trip to Florida. 'Beaches' sounds like far more fun intercut with dying puppies anyway if you ask me! x

13 January, 2008 22:40  
Blogger bedshaped chimed in with...

Nothing wrong with feeling 'stoned'!

13 January, 2008 22:46  
Blogger Cheezy chimed in with...

They sound stronger than what I was on a few years ago... Aropax, I think they were called... all I really remember is that they weren't too bad in helping me out of this little 'hole' I'd fallen into... and it was slightly easier to get pissed on them too.

14 January, 2008 10:27  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

SG is struggling through the working day today in a somewhat mellow way !

Hopefully the increased medication will further help her to deal with the anxiety issues and not stop our family from having a fabulous time in Florida. I genuinely believe if we can get past the flight worries then the fun, sun and relaxation on offer will be a powerful medicine of it's own.

14 January, 2008 16:38  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Hurrah! You are back and going to Florida! Good for you.
GSE, I just had a different brand of mine and I went pyschotic. It was... interesting.

15 January, 2008 19:24  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Funnily enough - we watched the Cuckoo's nest on Saturday.

I've really pushed the boat out and sent you an email.

Best...

15 January, 2008 21:22  
Blogger Dr Michael Anderson chimed in with...

Hope things get sorted for you SG, and ave a great time in the USA

17 January, 2008 20:34  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Sheesh.I do wish GP's would just spend even five minutes keeping up. I started taking SEROXAT, and it sent me proper doolally it did. Venlafaxine (effexor)did the trick, and kept me level until the time was right to "fly solo".

Just goes to show that GP's really need to be sooo careful about who they are prescribing to, and that their initial assessment of the person should be so much more detailed and sensitive.

Good luck :-)

21 January, 2008 10:52  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Don't completely rule out Effexor (unless you really really want to of course, its your choice after all) its done me a treat - I used to be on Citalopram (spelling?!)but after growing steadily worse the doc 'upped' me to Effexor and I've not looked back. Helped me calm down enough to manage if not totally get rid of the panic attacks, and generally able to cope a bit better. No discernible weight gain (I was fat before) and no suicidal tendencies - I agree with the addiction though, as the one time I managed to run out and couldn't get any more for a couple of days the side effects weren't very nice. But seeing as I don't plan on coming off it for forseeable future I am not worrying about it too much! I really hope you get mcuh better soon - and enjoy Florida! xxx

21 January, 2008 20:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here