Thursday, February 08, 2007

Evil, evil snow

The journey to school and work this morning was a nightmare.

This country is ridiculous. We have had, at the most, an inch and a half of snow. You would be forgiven, however, for assuming that the end of the world had just been announced (chirpily) by Fiona Phillips on GMTV. It was like a festive apocalypse out there.

The walk to school wasn’t so bad. The main obstacles were small, awestruck children (mine included) and their dithering parents. The journey to work, however, sucked. Where I live, we have cycle paths. Where the pavement is wide enough, bikes go on one side and pedestrians on the other. Where the pavements are narrower the general public is trusted to sort themselves out. This sometimes works, but mostly it doesn’t. Especially on snowy days, it seems.

After vainly offering an “excuse me” for the twelfth time in five minutes, I gave up. Head down, legs pumping*, I simply ploughed through the masses and triumphantly winged a Yummy Mummy with my handlebar…so I said to Rosa, if the new Boden catalogue doesn’t arrive soon, I won’t be able to get Toby any whimsical t-shirts in time for the trip to Mauri-OW!!

Score!

And by the time I got to work my glasses were all snowy and steamed up and my hood had slipped so I couldn’t see where I was going any more and my hair was all wet and frizzy and I looked like a special and I was Very Cross.

I went sledging in the grounds at lunchtime though so it wasn’t all bad. On the whole, though? Stupid, stupid snow.

* For “pumping” read “feebly cycling while I cried”.

10 Comments:

Blogger Inexplicable DeVice chimed in with...

We had snow.

It melted in 5 minutes.

I laughed at the doom-mongers and hand-wringers.

Ha!



I am slightly jealous of lunchtime sledging, though.

08 February, 2007 20:37  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

*Chortle* I'm still working at home. We had no snow anyway. *Chortle*

08 February, 2007 22:54  
Blogger crisiswhatcrisis chimed in with...

God, we've had the most snow in the country. Shouldn't bother me, I'm in the office. However, I now have to cope with (a) work (ok) and (b) kids (not ok, not fair, work day, not find-last-pair-of-dry-trousers-no-I-can't-put-the-tumble-dryer-on-for-one-glove day). Boo.

Still, look at their happy rosy cheeks. Aaaaah.

09 February, 2007 10:31  
Blogger zanna chimed in with...

Fifi - local radio my love. Did take me 2 years to work that out though....
Sledging rules! I took my small people to the park yesterday and couldn't resist a go. I thought it might be like all the other stuff (bouncy castles, trampolines, Dr Who) that you thought were great when you were a kid but now totally suck, but I was wrong. It's great! Couldn't get me off the sledge - we had such a wicked time. My new coat is fucked though.

09 February, 2007 12:14  
Blogger zanna chimed in with...

Aha...erm...no. You got me there mate!

09 February, 2007 15:53  
Blogger H chimed in with...

What is it about the thought of you on a bike that I find so delightful? Next time you're giving me a backie into town, bugger the Bombay nightbus.

09 February, 2007 16:38  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

SG 1 - YM 0

(Death to Yummy Mummies everywhere)

09 February, 2007 18:07  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Our school remained open despite threats of blizard. Many kids, however, took the day off although the threat of a Science test may have been partly responsible.
A class of six, with two members of staff to cover them is the future of Special Ed (imao) and we shall be mentioning snow frequently again.

09 February, 2007 20:52  
Blogger DavetheF chimed in with...

As a pedestrian with no carbon in my footprints, I loathed pavement cyclists when I lived in London. How on earth can that arrangement be safe for anyone?

12 February, 2007 19:25  
Blogger Justine chimed in with...

I totally get what you are saying about blogging as therapy.

*melancholy boink sound*

15 February, 2007 11:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here