Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Bleurgh

So, that's christmas over for another year.

My stomach cries a hearty "thank fuck for that". I swear, I've eaten so much over the festive period I'm amazed I still fit through doorways. I have eaten, and eaten, and eaten some more. I have eaten turkey and cheese and christmas pudding and apple and blackberry pie and Quality Street (in the thousands) and roast beef and some more cheese and french bread and real butter and Doritos and peanuts and pork pie and go on then, perhaps a tiny bit more cheese and I keep waking up and thinking right, now christmas is over I really can get back to normal but I think I'll just eat fifteen Quality Street first and MAKE IT STOP!!!

Seriously. I have put on four pounds and I can feel every single gelatinous, wobbly, hideous one of them. I have invested in a new running watch and have every intention of delighting the neighbours by lurching up and down the road a couple of times a week in the very near future. But, you see, since about September I've been smoking like a championship dart player who's simultaneously moving house, getting divorced and trying to lose weight, and as a result I'm slightly afraid of just plain dropping dead the first time I try and make it round the block. It has disaster written all over it.

However, the one thing that the Other Half and I are very, very proud of is our resolution to make January a dry month. I finished off the last of the Baileys last night. There isn't a drop of alcohol in the house. We are Reformed Characters. Admittedly, the Other Half keeps making puppy-dog eyes at me and intoning "I miss beer..." in a mournful voice, but we're going to soldier on. Push on through. Have the courage of our convictions and do the right thing.

Until Friday, when we're going out for new year drinks with some friends. This actually makes us more pathetic than last year, when we masterfully Did Not Drink until the eighth of January.

This Friday is the fifth. We suck.

Happy new year!

13 Comments:

Blogger Melissa chimed in with...

Ah, the courage of conviction. Struggling a bit with that myself at the moment.

Soldier on, soldier on.

Happy new year to you!

02 January, 2007 23:49  
Blogger claire chimed in with...

i imagine non-alcoholic beer is out of the question?

it tastes the same.

*cough*

02 January, 2007 23:56  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Yes, it seems you suck. But, more importantly, just what do you suck?

Mine's a Guinness ;-)


Stu
PS: tagging you today.....

03 January, 2007 05:01  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

...but I miss beer !!!

I figure if we do push on with the revamped exercise regime then there's no harm in a cheeky beer or two to warm down the muscles.

03 January, 2007 09:25  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

stu - i did my five things before xmas. don't try and make me think of five more. there really isn't anything!

melissa - ta!

claire - wash that mouth out, missy.

hon - you coming running next week then? no? thought not...

03 January, 2007 09:36  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

4 pounds? Unles you're only three foot tall that's not too bad really.

Five days off the booze is probably enough.

03 January, 2007 09:41  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

I reckon I can manage to wobble round the streets with you next week hon. We'll get up at 6.30am then pound the streets until our unwanted poundage is gone...in my case I may have to run a marathon every day but hey-ho !

03 January, 2007 14:49  
Blogger mig bardsley chimed in with...

4lbs??? Mine looked like a stone this morning! (But after I went to the loo it looked a lot better)
Happy Dry Year?
Naah! Happy New Year :)

03 January, 2007 19:34  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

well i've lost one of them already. but i look so FAT!!

btw, this is not girl-fibbing. i took small person swimming today and spent a horrified twenty minutes at home first trying on bikini after bikini....the horror. apologies to anyone at [localish pool] this morning who had to see that.

03 January, 2007 19:53  
Blogger realdoc chimed in with...

Anyone who can go swimming when it's not British Summer Time is doing well. I like to gve up pubic topiary until the clocks go forward, well it's better than giving up drink.

03 January, 2007 20:50  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

dry january? pah. we'e off to the pub tonight!

but that would be lovely, thank you...

04 January, 2007 18:02  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

*we're*, even.

what a retard i am.

04 January, 2007 18:03  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

We've gone dry for January (sort of). Him Who Snores caved and had 2 bottles of light beer last night - he said he 'just had to'. I had 2 mince pies and fines cognac brandy cream for my supper. It was the only way I could get alcohol into my body without being rumbled you see! So we're doing really well...:-)

06 January, 2007 00:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here