Friday, November 10, 2006

Something for the weekend

Special treat. Go here and marvel at the utter, whirling lunacy of Finger Gloves.

I can’t decide what I love most about this website. Is it the breathless tone of the copy? The frankly mental testimonials ("Manufacturing my dog collars requires the use of extremely high heat and these Finger Gloves™ have saved my fingers")? The phrase “Gripping Nubs”?

I think it’s that, when I first stumbled across it (don’t ask), it made me gape with astonishment and whisper why? over and over again. I mean, I sort of get it. Cracked skin, all that. But for the rest of it? Gardening? Cooking? Whatever the bloody hell “Free Motion Quilting” is? Why would you spend all that time lovingly grafting tiny little latex jackets onto each individual finger; trimming and adjusting and layering and faffing, when you could just, I don’t know, pop a pair of gloves on, or something.

Odd.

9 Comments:

Blogger frangelita chimed in with...

You're missing the main point which is that they look COOl...

10 November, 2006 17:54  
Blogger claire chimed in with...

Ooh. I've been looking for someting to wear just on my fingertips while, uh...scrapbooking. And bowling. I've needed something to protect my figers while bowling.

Those are creepy looking. And i'll ask. How did you find this Surly? What WERE you looking for, eh?

10 November, 2006 18:24  
Blogger whyioughtta chimed in with...

Hahaha. Blech. But...clever. But then...shudder.

10 November, 2006 21:47  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Oh sweet innocent SurlyGirl! (I never thought I'd ever write that line!)

They are for professional thieves, so that they avoid leaving fingerprints. Or, ever better, have a flexible cast of someone elses fingerprints stuck on the outside. Saves all that nasty grafting.

Yours,

Q.

11 November, 2006 05:50  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice chimed in with...

Free Motion Quilting? Isn't that one of those new extreme sports like Free Basing or... or... Bungee Darning?

Ooh, my fingers are sore from all this typing. These keys are unrelentingly hard. And the sharp edges are positively murder! I could really do with some kind of cushioning protection for them...

11 November, 2006 07:44  
Blogger Peevish McSnark chimed in with...

I wear one on my right middle finger tip when I'm... passing out papers to my students. The gripping nubs actually grip the papers and save me from having to lick my fingers to separate papers and thereby distribute my DNA to my students. They're also good for counting out a certain number of papers, collating, etc...

Um, can you tell I'm an office-supply freak? I got hooked on these damn things about 10 years ago when I was a temp and did a shit-load of filing & archiving every day. Just the one, though, on the one finger. Any more than that would be insanity. Insanity, I tell you.

11 November, 2006 21:12  
Blogger ~ Me ~ chimed in with...

They really are a bit creepy! Surely they will just roll themselves down with use...then some bright spark will invent little finger garters to keep them up....nah! - That really would be stupid....*rushes off to patent office*

11 November, 2006 21:45  
Blogger realdoc chimed in with...

Don't think they'd work in my profession. I think the patients would look at me funny. Free-motion quilting is some sort of sub-atomic theory in physics, probably.

12 November, 2006 13:24  
Blogger sEa chimed in with...

when only naked palms - exposed to extremes of heat and clod, very sharp and pointy objects, nuclear waste, and hours on end without lubricant or moisturizer - will do!!

15 November, 2006 21:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here