Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Finding the words....

Every two weeks at work I have a little mini-appraisal with my boss.

It's all quite lovely, really. We go and sit in a meeting room for a couple of hours and talk about all sorts of things, and oh...bollocks to it.

What I was going to do then was that habitual "guess what I did at work today" thing, which would mildly bore anyone who doesn't actually work with me (and lord knows, if any of you do, I'm so screwed), elicit a few polite comments and drift into beige eternity.

I don't know where my rant has gone. I think my rant is broken. What if this is it? What if I am now one of those people who has "musings" or "meanderings"? What if I spend the rest of my life doing the internet equivalent of one of those Round Robin letters that smug people send to a carefully-chosen roster of people they want to show off to every Christmas, detailing how Juliet passed her A Level in Being Nice to the Poor and has decided to opt for a career with the WRVS (at least until Hugh proposes and the babies start to arrive), and how Clive just got that pay rise (but he worked terribly hard for it, you know) so little Arabella can have that new pony as a well done for getting such a good school report. What if that's all?

I hope you're all looking forward to it. I can tell you all about the interesting things I get up to. There won't be any swearing, as it won't be that sort of blog any more. I won't say nasty things about people any more, as it's just so destructive. I can post pictures of quilts I have sewed, flowers I have arranged and Neighbourhood Watch meetings I have co-ordinated.

Actually, fuck that.

Tune in next time for why I think Madonna and her Incredible Performing Vagina* have finally gone completely mental. Egocentric, shrivelled old bag. If she wanted that little boy so badly, why wasn't she the one comforting him on a long-haul flight? Why wasn't she soothing him through the press scrum that met them at the airport and necessitated his first glimpse of his new "home country" to have been through a fog of grey blanket? I bet Michael Jackson is feverishly colouring in the sleepover invitations as I write.

I mean, it's all well and good. I'm not denying that she can give a child a better start in life than perhaps their natural environment would allow. Well done her for donating money to support the orphans that weren't "suitable" (how do you decide that, exactly? Is it like a dog show?) from the ones she presumably inspected in Malawi. Who knows how long she had spent researching the whole thing - maybe it just seems like she stuck a pin in the bottom half of a world map, flew there, looked over a roomful of impoverished children, pointed and uttered a haughty "that one" and swept out to go and wait for a visa somewhere a little less unsavoury. It just seems a little unpleasant that there are so many underprivileged and disadvantaged kids in care in the UK and USA** who maybe equally deserved a chance, but who were bypassed in favour of the publicity-laden pity fuck of a heavily leveraged inter-country adoption.

* I wonder which leotard she wore? Gots to make sure you look serious, that's all. The dove grey? The pinstripe? Did she spend the whole meeting muttering "must not simulate masturbation in an orphanage..must not simulate masturbation in an orphanage..."

** DISCLAIMER: I understand that there are underprivileged kids living in poverty and danger all over this crazy mixed-up world who all deserve a chance. I just think that if I was going to adopt, I might try and get over the cute-baby thing in order to try and help a child who might be that little bit older, but who might already have lived through a Care experience that would make the thought of a permanent family all the sweeter. I don't know Madonna's motives. S'my opinion, thass all.

15 Comments:

Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

Madonna - my thoughts exactly - except mine were a bit less coherent.

She's 47, for fuck's sake.

Does anyone else thing she's jsut jealous of Angelina/Nicole/Calista/Mia fucking Farrow?

17 October, 2006 21:21  
Blogger bedshaped chimed in with...

And you think 'the rant' has left you?

17 October, 2006 23:31  
Blogger ldbug chimed in with...

The thing I wonder about is; I know how difficult it is to adopt in the US (I have no idea about the UK, but it's prob similar). I have three adopted cousins, the only one that my aunt and uncle were able to adopt as a baby, was a girl with cerebral palsy. It's incredibly difficult, money or not, to adopt a perfectly healthy infant, and the biological parents will almost always win-out if they decide to get the kid back at any point after.

I also have a dear friend who adopted a beautiful baby girl who was burnt and abbandoned in China. My friend and her husband are older, and don't qualify for babies here. Also, they are terrified each and every day that they may soon lose their son, also adopted but from the US, any day. They chose to adopt overseas because they could, and would not have that fear with their baby girl.

I'm sure, Madonna may not have to worry like they do, but it's just a consideration...maybe she adopted for the fame, maybe because she wanted to keep the child without fear. Also, she's too old to adopt (again, money is not a factor) a US and maybe UK child? The law is the law, child wellfare will not release kids to certain age parents....

Ah, sorry, I also rant..like your site!! Found you via Angry..hope you don't mind......

17 October, 2006 23:58  
Blogger Arabella chimed in with...

Looking forward to the pony.

18 October, 2006 02:26  
Blogger Kellycat chimed in with...

As my mum so eloquently put it at the weekend, "I knew those celebrities would get bored with a dog in a handbag..."

18 October, 2006 06:28  
Blogger zanna chimed in with...

I blame Angela Jolly. But I blame her for pretty much everything else too........... PS Kellycat, I vote your mum for PM.

18 October, 2006 11:02  
Blogger Stef the engineer chimed in with...

There was a time I would have liked Madonna to adopt me. We were both in our twenties at the time.
That time has now passed.

18 October, 2006 17:19  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

should I clutter up your blog about just how many ways there are to get around the 'official'adoption steeplechase here in the u.s? please, madge.
Yes, its a publicity stunt using a human child high above you in the center ring. really, really classy.
*fuming*

18 October, 2006 18:53  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

is it me, or do i get less comments than i used to?

not that i don't love you all.

me, me, me.

what a twat i am.

18 October, 2006 20:52  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

oh, and lbug? welcome. never complain, never explain....

18 October, 2006 20:53  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

*ldbug* bollocks to it.

18 October, 2006 20:53  
Blogger Kyahgirl chimed in with...

get off your arse and visit some of your other blogging friends. I've got a good one up about quilts now!

18 October, 2006 22:09  
Blogger Smat chimed in with...

yet again, you say what I was thinking.
Sorry, maybe I should post a "me too" comment every time that happens, would that help?

18 October, 2006 22:53  
Blogger Darwin chimed in with...

I think the poor kid might be physically safe but emotionally traumatised a lot more thanks to Mad Mads adopting him.

Frying pan to the fire?

19 October, 2006 02:32  
Blogger Yaxlich chimed in with...

This is the first time Yaxlich has visited Surly Girl's blog. He likes it very much and will be coming back again although next time he will cover his ears when he reads the rude words.

19 October, 2006 19:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here