Monday, July 24, 2006

In which, for a change, I complain about some stuff.

Working with Blogger lately is like being held hostage by a menopausal serial killer. It's all tiptoeing, and gentle stroking, and no sudden movements.

I am tired of not being able to log in. I am tired of logging in and then being unable to create a post. I am tired of creating a post only to lose it when I try to publish it. I am tired of losing a post while publishing it, publishing it again (assuming I can log back in) only to find that I have now published it twice and am completely unable to get into the "Edit posts" tab to delete the extra one, thus presenting myself to a largely indifferent audience as a bit of a twat.

But the thing that makes me crossest is myself. It's the knowledge that I am moaning about a service that is provided to me totally free of charge and that, when working, is a simple self-publishing interface that allows me to bore the world at large on a semi-regular basis. If I wasn't such a technophobe, I could bloody well get some hosting and stop complaining. Actually, it isn't even that. I've got the domain registered, and have even been offered free hosting but was too fucking lazy to ever do anything about it so the offer no longer stands, I shouldn't think. In my head, you see, it's like signing up for evening classes, or getting my car ready to sell, or not squeezing the toothpaste from the middle - attainable, but just too complicated. Except it isn't. None of that stuff is. I'm just terminally lazy and would rather sit around whining about things that are perfectly within my control to change.

At least the neighbours are quiet tonight. Although now I am just on edge waiting for them to start thundering and shrieking again.

What a miserable, impossible witch I am.

19 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick chimed in with...

gosh, yes - not squeezing toothpaste from the middle is difficult, isn't it?

~ a member of your largely indifferent audience

p.s. has anyone seen wyndham??

24 July, 2006 21:37  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

he's baaaaack...

or did i dream that?

24 July, 2006 21:50  
Blogger Wyndham chimed in with...

I thought everyone used those hard cannisters to dispense toothpaste these days - or am I being bourgeois?

24 July, 2006 21:59  
Blogger Urban Chick chimed in with...

dammit

must pay more attention

yo, wynders! wotcha!

(gosh, i'm good at the cockney rhyming slang, amn't i?)

24 July, 2006 22:09  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Just because things are free doesn't mean we can't complain about them. If my free email service up and published all my archives for the world to see, or suddenly lost everything I'd composed, I'd throw a small fit and then some.

See? It's because we're entitled to wonderful, free things.

24 July, 2006 22:24  
Blogger tom909 chimed in with...

No but Surly, in real life you don't complain like that do you (or do you). You are allowed to 'give vent' in blogland, and you do it so well.
I mean, who do they think we are? 'you can have this for free, it's shit but hey, it's free, what do you expect'.

25 July, 2006 06:56  
Blogger JonnyB chimed in with...

Ach. The hosting won't help. You'll still need to use blogger.com to post.

Go to www.wbloggar.com and download wbloggar. It lets you create everything independently of blogger and post straight into their database. Takes about a second - no logging in or nuffin. Used it for years. Changed my life.

That last bit might be a slight exaggeration.

25 July, 2006 07:26  
Blogger Mimey chimed in with...

If I put the lid on the toothpaste after squeezing it from the middle then I'd throw less rock hard chunks of minty crud away and spend less hard earned pennies on bloody toothpaste and waste fewer irreplaceable minutes.

No, way too involved for me. What is a 'lid' anyway?

25 July, 2006 09:41  
Blogger Donna chimed in with...

Hi SG ... I use the Word thing for posting to blogger ... It's about a billion times more reliable.

25 July, 2006 10:49  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com chimed in with...

Blogger has been so finicky lately. I thought of switching to a different service, too. But, I didn't because I agree with you: too much effort

25 July, 2006 11:59  
Blogger Lucy Diamond chimed in with...

I've had a few Blogger nightmares myself lately. Bloody thing. Still, if you look at their help forum thingy (to use a rather pathetic Blairism), there are some people who really REALLY hate Blogger out there. People who are having fully-blown rants and near heart attacks about Blogger. Makes you feel quite calm to read them. Makes you think, Actually, it's not that important, really. Think I'll go and squeeze some toothpaste or something equally relaxing instead.
Fingers crossed for some stress-free posting in the near future
Sue x

25 July, 2006 12:06  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

I love Blogger.

I can't believe that I can actually do something involving a computer.

25 July, 2006 12:25  
Blogger The Boy chimed in with...

The weather is free and that doesn't stop us complaining about it does it?

I hates blogger, nasty thing...

25 July, 2006 13:58  
Blogger West chimed in with...

Tokally off subject here, SG - I just notice you like Glenn Campbell.

Have you heard him sing a song called 'Guess I'm Dumb'? It's well worth searchinmg out if you haven't.

Sorry, I'll pee off now.....

25 July, 2006 16:47  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

1. blogger makes money, don't kid yerselves. they aren't doing this for the love of mankind. thats why they host ads. bitch all you want. they claim a certain thing and then don't deliver; hell yes, i'll bitch. and i do. ergo...
2. ever sent their 'help' department an email? they blast one back to you which in essence tells you to go ask your mother, because they are busy with IMPORTANT stuff and that ain't you.

25 July, 2006 17:04  
Blogger Arabella chimed in with...

Never had a problem with grumbling...complain away.

As for the production of River Dance that was touring the provinces but decided to stop in digs next door to your house... and rehearse...complain away.

25 July, 2006 18:10  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

rs - i LOVE glen campbell, but am only familiar with his back catalogue as heard on "twenty golden greats".

*wanders off, humming "galveston"*

25 July, 2006 18:35  
Blogger Billy chimed in with...

I hate it when Blogger breaks. For some reason, it always happens to me when I've written a post, and am trying to publish. I set there with a attempting-to-not-to-care-and-failing face derangedly refreshing every 2 seconds.

25 July, 2006 19:00  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

it has just completely failed to let me upload a picture to my next post.

fucker.

25 July, 2006 19:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here