Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Windmills of my mind, part the millionth

It's a recurring theme. My mind, ironically, drives me mental.

So I'm driving Small Person over to Grandma's, where she sleeps on a Wednesday night so the the Ex can go to Land Rover Club *nods off*. It's one of the nights he fought over when we thrashed out the custody agreement. I've suggested that, since he doesn't see her at all on a Wednesday night, maybe she could stay at home but no. Anyway, that's not what I wanted to say at all.

We're driving down the bypass, listening to Chris Evans on Radio 2. We totally love Chris Evans. Proper, old-school deejaying without the sycophantic whooping of eighties-throwback Steve Wright and his "posse" (note to Steve Wright: move on. Seriously. You've been making a career out of having nothing to say for fucking years. Stop it). The next record on is "I Want You to Want Me" by Cheap Trick. And my mind was off.

I have a vague recollection of a cover version of that song. It was in the late eighties or early nineties. It was recorded (I'm convinced) by the hapless duo of Lance (tall, warty, borderline candidate for a padded helmet and seat on the special bus) and Martin (mullet, horrid shorts, unlikely playboy) off of Home and Away (turgid, endless Australian soap where nothing much/hideous-far-reaching-disaster happened on a fairly regular basis). I am convinced that I had said cover version on a compilation CD at some point. So when I got home I googled it. Nothing. So now I don't know whether a) Lance and Martin liked the song in Home and Away, and a totally unrelated person/persons recorded it and the two are somehow connected in my mind or b) I have dreamed the whole thing.

The worst part is that I really, really care. I need to know. I can't find out and it's driving me up the wall. And that, sadly, makes me a total fucking mentalist.

Wibble.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

I remember Lance and Martin.

Unfortunately I don't remember that song... which means that this is a completely pointless comment.

Sorry.

Remember Pacers? They were great:)

28 June, 2006 20:47  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

It's a good song. It HAS been covered by Letters to Cleo and Train, Rick Nielsen, Propaghandi, and of course, Lindsay Lohan.

I do not know Lance and Martin, so I don't know if any of those are close, but am guessing Lindsay isn't.

28 June, 2006 21:03  
Blogger Kellycat chimed in with...

Pacers? - Were they the ones with the song about their "ooh-ooh-stripes"?

28 June, 2006 21:57  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

can we stop turning this into "ooh, remember texan bars?" and turn our attention to whether or not two ugly men from an aussie soap covered a rubbish aor track from the early eighties?

thank you. can you tell i'm pre-menstrual?

28 June, 2006 22:08  
Blogger claire chimed in with...

ooh. Surly is serious about this one...

Letters to Cleo is the one that popped into my head and now it will stay there for the rest of the night.

Dammit.

Thank you, Ms. Surly!

28 June, 2006 22:35  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

Wasn't it Stefan Dennis from Neighbours who did that?

28 June, 2006 22:44  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

no. he did "don't it make you feel good"

*shoots self in head*

28 June, 2006 22:55  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

you'll have to do better than that. i woke up last night wondering about pork pie.

it still bothers me.

29 June, 2006 00:58  
Blogger Billy chimed in with...

Pah, I never liked Home and Away, Neighbours was way better. Now if Bouncer had done a Cheap Trick cover I would have been impressed.

I do now have "don't it make you feel good" stuck in my head.

29 June, 2006 10:03  
Blogger LC chimed in with...

Being the only Lance in a large comprehensive during the late eighties, and therefore suffering the shame and humiliation that is traditionally heaped upon youngsters who have any characteristics which mark them out as being even slightly different in any way from the rest of the kids, you can imagine my joy when a popular soap opera introduced a dorky fuckwit of a character also called Lance.

It's a shit name and I still hate it.

*spends rest of day kicking things and sulking*

29 June, 2006 10:30  
Blogger zanna chimed in with...

as they were in a band on the program, perhaps there was an episode where they did a "gig"?
Fifi, I love you and all that but you are a sick, sick puppy!

29 June, 2006 10:32  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

Who was that boy who owned Bouncer but obviously had adenoid prblems and pronounced his name Baaahnther.

Just going to join the 'shoot yourself in the head party' for tragic saddo's! :-o

29 June, 2006 11:04  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

I remember Lance and Martin.

I also remember 'Don't it make you feel good'.

I don't recall L&M singing, so I've probably just blanked it out.

29 June, 2006 11:40  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

i just found out what a pork pie is made of.
thought you'd want to know.

29 June, 2006 18:03  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

Yeah, manually evacuated spinal column probably. Yum.

30 June, 2006 20:43  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

and eyelids. don't forget eyelids.

30 June, 2006 21:20  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

Lips'n'arseholes - we forgot those too.

04 July, 2006 01:18  
Blogger delcatto chimed in with...

Well said Surly.
Steve Wright has always been and is a fuckwit of the 1st order.
I loathe him to the nth degree plus 1.

16 July, 2006 20:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here