Monday, May 29, 2006

A tribute.

Memories are what life gives us to hang onto when things happen that we can't understand.

Memories. Of getting a new motorbike and loading all seven stone and no fear that was my friend Razz onto the back. Tearing up and down past Hylands Park in the middle of the night, blasting through the fog with her whooping and giggling and screaming "warp factor nine, Mr Sulu!" in my ear as she tried to get me to go faster. Rallies we went to together where we started drinking before we put the tent up, rallies where we played silly games and danced and snogged unsuitable men and laughed and laughed and laughed because we didn't have anything to worry about, not then. Endless nights in the pub, talking about nothing and everything and all the rest in between. A huge crowd of friends who didn't have good jobs, or money, or ambition and really didn't need any of those things because we were young and we cared about each other and all we needed to do was laugh and drink and sing and play and everything else took care of itself. Parties at our house where the Hippy juggled fire in the front garden, and you couldn't get down the stairs because of the queue for the bong. Sitting with her in the basement living room at Johnny Springate's house, smoking pot and shaking yoghurt pots full of lentils along with Fishbone on the stereo because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wandering into town to spend our giros (a fiver on food, the rest divvied up for a week's beer money) and giggle at the people who were tied down by the nine to five. Celebrating birthdays with pub crawls, spending Christmas at Zanna's and eating so much that nobody could move for an hour afterwards. And the hours and hours and hours we all spent just being friends.

It couldn't last. It never can - life gets in the way. I moved away, got married, found a decent job, had a child...you know the rest. But the people who were my friends then are my friends now, and in my head they are always where I left them, waiting for the next milestone birthday or a wedding to bring us all together. I'm lucky to have such good friends, and to have shared good years with excellent people who loved me as much as I loved them.

Razz died yesterday. She was thirty-eight.

So I'll keep my memories, and I'll share them with my friends at her funeral, and they'll share theirs with me. And we'll cry, but we'll celebrate. We'll drink, and we'll laugh, and we'll sing, and we'll never, ever forget her. Because now, memories are all we have.

Sleep tight, Razz. I miss you.

13 Comments:

Blogger patroclus chimed in with...

Oh SG, how sad, I'm sorry. How did she die?

29 May, 2006 21:40  
Blogger Kyahgirl chimed in with...

oh god, I'm so sorry

(((SG)))

29 May, 2006 22:38  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

she died of complications after a ruptured aneurysm. she hung in for ten days and seemed to be on the mend but it just got too much for her. when they did a brain scan they found five aneurysms that she'd had since birth so i feel grateful that we had the times we did with her - she might never have made it as far as she did.

29 May, 2006 22:41  
Blogger rockmother chimed in with...

That's tough. My heart goes out to you. Life seems so unfair sometimes. xxx

29 May, 2006 22:58  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

sweetheart, i am sorry.
you have excellent memories, but they aren't her, and i wish they could be.
i wish i could have met her.

30 May, 2006 03:01  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

That's terrible, SG, so sorry to hear it.

30 May, 2006 09:53  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

God Surly, I:m so sorry, that is way too young.

Exactly the same thing happened to my uncle last month (just two aneurysms though) He survived both operations (just), but we ahve no idea if he'll ever be able to speak or walk again, or even if he understands half of what we're trying to say.

Razz was lucky to have such a good friend as you.

30 May, 2006 10:28  
Blogger Donna chimed in with...

I'm moved to tears for you and your friend. Your post is a great tribute to her. Take care Surly xx

30 May, 2006 15:35  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Awful Surly, really sorry - my mum's death was sort of timely, this most certainly isn't. xx (ex-Sherbert)

30 May, 2006 17:18  
Blogger claire chimed in with...

oh, I'm so sorry, Surly.

so sad..

30 May, 2006 18:54  
Blogger mig bardsley chimed in with...

That's terrible. I'm so sorry.

30 May, 2006 22:20  
Blogger Mimey chimed in with...

Horrible, cruel and unfair. Really sorry for your loss, but a beautiful tribute she'd surely be proud of.

31 May, 2006 09:06  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Perfect words from the perfect friend. Thank you M xx

02 June, 2006 09:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here