Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Surly - the Return

Well, what can I say?

Pathetic, isn't it? I can give up smoking. I can give up being mean to people who are thinner/prettier/generally nicer than me*. I can even give up jerk chicken, if it means I'll look better in a t-shirt this summer. But, as I've proved to myself this past week or so, I can't give up blogging. Nope. Can't be done. And I really, really thought I'd cracked it this time. No more just sort of trailing off for a week or so, still religiously checking stats and tracking comments. No more vague worrying about posting/not posting/commenting on other blogs/not being able to comment. No. This time was going to be different. Close the blog, and just Move On. Perhaps take up a hobby - say, crafts or learning Esperanto for fun and profit. Whatever the outcome, me and blogging were finished. Done. Over. Finito.

Except, what do you think I've done in the interim? Have I, in a momentary fit of altruism, offered my unpaid services to the local Brownie pack as assistant Brown Owl, dreams of fusty tents and hairy string glittering in my mind like precious jewels? Have I begun practising the art of interpretive dance, in order that I may convey the beauty and majesty of the planet to bewildered passers-by in the town centre of a weekend, in a whirling cloud of patchouli, tie-dye and one of those floaty skirts with bits of mirror on them?

No. Fortunately, I have done neither of those things.

Instead, I've checked my stats, tracked comments, worried about not posting, thought of a million things to post and finally, this weekend, realised that I might as well just get on with it. I like writing. I'm not wired up to write fiction - I don't have it in me. So I'm afraid this is just going to sort of dribble on until one of us gets bored with it and, past form considered, it isn't going to be me.

And if you don't like it, you can bloody well suggest a hobby that will occupy me sufficiently to stop me clogging up Blogger's bandwidth on a semi-regular basis. I can't be responsible for everything, you know.

Cue stony silence and tumbleweeds. Bastards.

* This is a complete lie. I can no more be nice to people than I can levitate.

19 Comments:

Blogger Wyndham chimed in with...

There but for the grace of god...

Good to have you back. Not that I knew you had gone away until the moment before you had come back.

If you see what I mean.

Anyhow, I think you've used up all your sachets of Instant Blog Crisis. You can borrow some of mine, although I may need them at some point.

30 May, 2006 18:48  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

YAY!
I had to recently look at my Blogging Problem, and I found that taking my stats away actually helped me. It's freeing to write for yourself on occasion.

But then I put them back on, of course.

Guess I'm no better off than you.

30 May, 2006 19:12  
Blogger Donna chimed in with...

Welcome back Surly ... Hurrah!

30 May, 2006 19:12  
Blogger claire chimed in with...

Yay!!

It didn't really seem like you were going to be gone for long. Had a nice holiday from it though did you?

A break from anything will make you feel better, i think.

Welcome back! ...but don't do it again, eh?

30 May, 2006 19:32  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

how bout picking up baby chickens and squtting the poo from their bottoms into a small bowl all the better to spy their bitty winkies/lack thereof?

*purposefully suggesting disgusting hobby in order to trick SG into continued blogging*

*it's reverse psychology, y'all*

30 May, 2006 22:02  
Blogger garfer chimed in with...

Christ, and there was me thinking that I would no longer be beaten about the head by a crowd of metaphores.

Give us some pomes.

30 May, 2006 22:18  
Blogger mig bardsley chimed in with...

Oh good.

30 May, 2006 22:32  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice chimed in with...

Oh. It was all an hilarious joke. Yay! :)

30 May, 2006 22:36  
Blogger Kyahgirl chimed in with...

of course you're back. Garfer predicted it and I agreed, ages ago. Your blogging audience now knows you better than you know yourself. How does that feel? :-)
♥ ♥

I'm so glad you didn't go.

30 May, 2006 23:18  
Blogger Holly chimed in with...

So glad to have you back!!

31 May, 2006 08:28  
Blogger Mimey chimed in with...

Too many of my regular reads have announced the end of their blogs/disappeared without a trace or a word. And while I understand that some people want to live lives and not just write about what it'd be like to have one, kinda, I also believe that once you start blogging you have certain responsibilities to your poor readers.

Look at us all, checking in, even though there was no hope of finding you here. THERE WAS HOPE, afterall!

Hurray.

Hobbies: Crown Green Bowling, can't be good for the knees, stay at the computer, it's safer.

31 May, 2006 09:11  
Blogger longcat chimed in with...

i was just looking at your bookmark in my browser wandering whether i should delete it as well...

very glad to have that surly inflection polluting the internet again,

x

31 May, 2006 12:23  
Blogger Geoff chimed in with...

The problem with Esperanto is that all the tutors are 105.

31 May, 2006 13:38  
Blogger Unknown chimed in with...

Blogging is in your blood. There's nothing you can do except perhaps start a twelve step program to deal with the addiction.

'Hello, I'm Pamela and I've been blog free for two minutes."

31 May, 2006 14:37  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

I knew you'd be back.

Good.

31 May, 2006 20:36  
Blogger JonnyB chimed in with...

You're shit. I withdraw the nice things I said about you.

31 May, 2006 21:16  
Blogger bedshaped chimed in with...

I kinda like your dribble.

31 May, 2006 22:59  
Blogger Maven chimed in with...

Lovely, just lovely!

Glad you're back!

01 June, 2006 14:40  
Blogger Urban Chick chimed in with...

see, i went orf on holiday and missed the entire blog angst drama

if i hadn't scrolled down a bit, it would have been like nothing had ever happened

**waves in jovial fashion at her surliness**

04 June, 2006 17:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here