Sunday, February 19, 2006

Money? Check. Sense? Nope..

I wonder about someone who has the money and wherewithal to not only own one of those great big enormous camper-van things (the posh ones, with the ladders on the back and the driver's seat that's like a reclining armchair), but to have added a trailer on the back with a small car on it. I've seen these camper van things (what are they called? What?) with bicycles strapped to the back, or mopeds, and I can see the logic. You park up in some godforsaken windswept field next to a landfill site, get on your moped and head off into town to buy some beans to heat over your single-ring camping stove and eat while listening to the sound of rain hammering on the roof - what could be more lovely? But to take a car with you? Really? It just seems a bit, well, extravagant. I mean, if you've got the sort of money that allows you to lash out squillions of pounds on campers and cars and trailers and petrol and can just spend endless days driving up and down motorways why wouldn't you just, I don't know, book a proper holiday or something?

Whoever it was that sat relentlessly in front of me this morning doing sixty miles an hour in the fast lane, I hope their ultimate destination was somewhere a bit nicer than Essex. Actually, no I don't. No. Essex seems about appropriate for someone who is holidaying in the UK in February. In a camper van. In front of me. Slowly.

People, eh? Fucking idiots.

12 Comments:

Blogger DC chimed in with...

They should definitely be banned from the fast lane.

What I don't quite understand is why VW haven't relaunched the old camper van in the same way the Mini was. Think of all those retro-hippies now earning shitloads who'd splash out on one.

19 February, 2006 16:59  
Blogger Fuckkit chimed in with...

I wish I had more money than sense.

*sighs*

19 February, 2006 17:01  
Blogger FirstNations chimed in with...

also called motorhomes. i get hundreds of these things past my house every summer living as i do next to an intl' border xing. and every single one of them if full of tiny, elderly lost people who have to sit up on a phone book to see over the dash.
they always top and ask me for directions, which means driving both the heefalump and the lincoln town cars they're towing halfway across my lawn up to the hubs. apparently this is SO much more convenient than, oh, pulling into a gas station with maps for sale and a large paved lot to park on. by the end of summer my lawn looks like a panzer division has crossed it. stupid motorhomes. bad motorhomes. potty motorhomes.

19 February, 2006 19:51  
Blogger Spinsterella chimed in with...

More money than sense, as my Daddy (and Fuckitt) says.

I've never seen the Camper-van-with-attached-car outside the States though. Disturbing news there Surley.

19 February, 2006 21:22  
Blogger the Beep chimed in with...

I heard that VW are about to launch a new CV, only somewhat more reliable than tyhe old version. They went to Croyde one day and counted the old ones, did some sums on their new abacus and got all shiney eyed...this summer, I heard.

I saw a big RV in France with a BMW motorbike on a hoist on the back. I have to say I thought that there was a holiday I could enjoy, right there, as I turned back inot my canvas tent, erected on the huh, and slightly damp and smelling of old sox. Showers, and your own loo. Envy. That was some time ago. I'm better now.

19 February, 2006 22:22  
Blogger mig bardsley chimed in with...

I must tell my friend about the new VW CV. But I don't think she'd ever abandon her ancient, unreliable one for a younger model.
As for the RV with car attachment, that sounds like some sort of lego toy. Daft I'd call it.

20 February, 2006 01:11  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice chimed in with...

So, what's a winnebago then?

Think I've found the new VW CV though.

20 February, 2006 09:01  
Blogger Huw chimed in with...

I thought they were known as Toss Wagons.

20 February, 2006 12:35  
Blogger Smat chimed in with...

the idea is so that you can park your motor home on the campsite, and leave it there while you tootle about the countryside/go off to Tescos to do the shopping in your spare car. Then you don't need to pack up everything you own and put it into the miniscule lockers every time you need a pint of milk. We hired one and drove up and down the west coast of Scotland one summer - narrow windy roads, big unmanoeverable motor home = very stressed driver. Us kids thought it was great though.

20 February, 2006 12:49  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

These people are totally outclassed by the luxury motor yachts that have one or two top-of-the-range speedboats in tow. We see them a lot round these parts.

20 February, 2006 20:34  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

weird. you must live somewhere very posh.....

20 February, 2006 20:36  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

No, it's upmarket in parts, but there are a number of marinas around here. It's a lovely spot though, on the mountainside above a seaside village nestling in the valley below -- between two oceans.

21 February, 2006 11:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here