Friday, January 20, 2006

Poetry

I love the general emails that go round the whole company when there's something important to say. "You've left your lights on, green Fiesta with rusty wing and bronzed baby shoe hanging from rear-view mirror"; "A dirty brown bobble hat was left on the bus. It has a soup stain on the front and smells of sheep. Please claim it if it is yours"; "Whoever is not flushing the downstairs toilet should be aware that the Reception staff will be taking swabs this afternoon in an attempt to identify the culprit". That sort of thing. Today's, however, transcends the mundanity of courgettes for sale, poor hygiene and flat batteries and touches the very heart of the human condition and all its futility. I arrived this morning to find the following nestling in my inbox, gently trembling like a newborn faun, and was moved enough to share it with you. I present it exactly as I, and the rest of the company, received it:

A black tie with white diagonal stripes has been found
On the path in Olympus close.
It is now in the postroom
Thank you.


Beautiful. So moving, yet with a strength that belies the delicacy of the structure.

Carry on.

16 Comments:

Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com chimed in with...

That *IS* very beautiful!!! :)

20 January, 2006 11:09  
Blogger Urban Chick chimed in with...

such beauty in the workplace

hooda thunk it?

20 January, 2006 11:16  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Oi, that tie is damn stylish I'll have you know...a lovely polyester blend that crinkles nicely when worn !!!!

20 January, 2006 11:38  
Blogger Kellycat chimed in with...

Yes, the email about the lost sandwich box was far more earthy.

There's something very poignant about a tie being lost on casual day.

20 January, 2006 11:43  
Blogger Perry Neeham chimed in with...

I was heading towards your postroom when I realised you had said tie and not Thai.

20 January, 2006 13:06  
Blogger Donna chimed in with...

We had a good one yesterday:

Lost Sellotape Dispenser:

I took some sellowtape down to the basement on Wednesday 18 January 2006 morning. If you find it could you let me know on 2210/16
please. It is a cream dispenser.


So which is it? Sellotape or cream ... Oh how I laughed.

20 January, 2006 13:45  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

SG, this is nothing to do with ties or laments for ties... but you're gonna love me anyway.

I.Have.Found.The.Best.Thing.Ever.
(while er.. working).

You can have your very own Hoff desktop.

No, honestly, don't feel that you have to give me money or anything.
Buy me a pint sometime.

Enjoy;)

20 January, 2006 15:59  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

i'm going to look at that from the safety of my own pc - am pretty sure webmarshal doesn't love the hoff like i do.

thanks ft. consider that pint bought. do you want some pork scratchings with that?

20 January, 2006 16:43  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Nah. Vegetarian, you see. Nuisance.

How about a ham sandwich?

20 January, 2006 18:14  
Blogger Kyahgirl chimed in with...

Doesn't that note make you wonder what lucky fella was getting his clothes ripped off on the path to Olympus Close?

20 January, 2006 18:18  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

How peculiar. I'm missing a white tie with black diagonals....

20 January, 2006 19:38  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

I'm missing a black tie with white diagonals. We'll have to fight...

ft

20 January, 2006 20:51  
Blogger mig bardsley chimed in with...

I like a bit of poetry in the workplace myself.

20 January, 2006 22:47  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Okay, whatever. See if you can connect to this (vis-a-vis one of your earlier posts). No guarantees as I swiped from someone else's blog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Gi2CfuqcUGE

21 January, 2006 07:59  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Come on, it's Monday morning. We need something to read, ffs!

23 January, 2006 09:59  
Blogger zanna chimed in with...

amazing budget for that hoff video...

23 January, 2006 10:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here