Friday, August 05, 2005

WTF?

I received the following in an email today, with twelve other people copied in....

"Locked your keys in your car? Try this. If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button ofyour key fob (clicker), holding it near the phone on their end. Your car doors will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk!).

Note * It works fine! We tried it out, and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!)

Mike's Note *I locked the car had my youngest daughter call me while I was far away from the car. I clicked open into the phone andI could hear the car doors unlock through her cell phone. My daughter confirmed that sure enough the doors opened. Pass this one on to your friends..."

I have no words.

Apart from "barking"......

7 Comments:

Blogger car01 chimed in with...

But does it work? Haven't you and your cutlery-toting colleagues all been outside trying this marvel?

(as an aside, Jeremy Clarkson mentioned a neat trick with car remotes: if you hold the remote close to your body, it acts as an antenna and means that you can lock/unlock your car from further away).

05 August, 2005 15:28  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

was that the one where he held it against his head as if committing suicide with his car keys? i tried that but it didn't work for me.

damn this steel plate in my head.

05 August, 2005 15:32  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Yeah I saw that, and I must admit I borrowed next doors car keys and tried it.

It does work. The pointing at the head trick..

They're on holiday at the moment, but as soon as they are back I'll try the phone trick.

05 August, 2005 16:38  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

will they not think you're, um, mental?

05 August, 2005 16:41  
Blogger Phil chimed in with...

Personally I have a car which was built in the last century (literally), so I don't have remote central locking. But if you do, exactly how do you lock your keys inside your car?

07 August, 2005 18:58  
Blogger Maven chimed in with...

According to Snopes, it's false:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

10 August, 2005 19:14  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

finally!! i snopesed it before i posted, just to confirm that it was, indeed, a load of old wank. i was sort of surprised that anyone actually considered it might work.....

that'll teach me.

11 August, 2005 09:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here