Monday, August 15, 2005

Nothing to see here...

....mainly because I'm just plain tired and can't think of anything even remotely interesting to say. It's Monday. The sun is shining but I am stuck in an airless office, surrounded by halfwits. I am skint and I don't get paid until Friday. The Other Half has buggered off to Oslo and I miss him, even though it's only been for one night - I don't like knowing that he's not ten minutes away, as he normally is on the nights we don't spend together. I had to see my mother twice this weekend, and a) she bought Small Person a king-size Mars Bar (hello?? She's five for christ's sake..) and b) I had to talk to her twice this weekend, so that's contributed to my general demeanour of sulky teenager. Also, I'm supposed to be away this week on my work "educational" trip, spending a week in the Scandinavian sunshine sampling the product first-hand, with expenses and more cocktails than you can shake a new liver at. However, since Small Person is only now recovering from the emotional trauma of my trip to Mexico at the beginning of June, sanity and conscience prevailed and I elected to instead stay at home in the hope that it will in some way repair the damage done and spare her from a life of prescription painkillers, therapy and self harm. Bless her little heart - the more times I hear that girl tell me, unprompted, that she loves me, the more convinced I am that it actually might all turn out ok in the end. I'm basically a selfish person (as anyone who's ever witnessed me in the proximity of an open packet of hobnobs will confirm), but being somebody's mother has opened up a selfless side of me that constantly surprises me. On the mornings I drop her off at her holiday club, I watch her running ahead of me up the path and I swear it's all I can do not to cry. She's perfect - all skinny legs and streaming hair, and running for the sheer joy of it. My one wish is that she has a life that brings her as much happiness as she deserves, and that in some way I can contribute to that.

I hope the Other Half brings me a Toblerone.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Sorry my love, no Tolerone. The hotel only had dodgy Scandinavian chocolate and I thought it was my job to try before I buy...and what do you know, I ate the lot !!!

Some small consolation, I woke myself up with my own snoring on the way home...

16 August, 2005 09:52  
Blogger Dave chimed in with...

I've been meaning to post here for several days... no rush, obviously, as you clearly don't intend to post daily or anything, as if you cared that your readers had something fresh to read.

Sorry. Didn't intend to sound all bitter and twisted there.

Particularly as your post was sooo sweet. Quite twisted my heartstrings it did. Having had a daughter who was little once...

...they do grow up though. Mine two have just taken {sorry, borrowed} all my savings, to buy their own places. And they didn't offer me chocolate.

17 August, 2005 19:41  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

well i had a day off yesterday - which frankly i needed after the day i had on tuesday....so will give in to emotional blackmail and post summat later.

as for Tolerone - i considered picking him up on that but forgot.
doesn't mean it didn't annoy me tho...!!

18 August, 2005 09:14  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

well i had a day off yesterday - which frankly i needed after the day i had on tuesday....so will give in to emotional blackmail and post summat later.

as for Tolerone - i considered picking him up on that but forgot.
doesn't mean it didn't annoy me tho...!!

18 August, 2005 09:14  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

bloody comments. it didn't work, honest, so i tried again - and it bloody posted twice!!

grrrr.

18 August, 2005 09:57  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

hurrah - blog spam!! i've truly arrived.....

18 August, 2005 10:03  
Blogger Dave chimed in with...

I just deleted them when I got some last week. Didn't realise it was a status symbol.

And why are you posting comments here, young lady, when you should be writing a new entry for my entertainment?

18 August, 2005 10:32  
Blogger Dave chimed in with...

Oh, btw, you got an appreciative comment about your last comment on my blog.

Not an attempt to get you to revisit me, just letting you know someone appreciated what you wrote.

Mind you, it was an American.

18 August, 2005 13:01  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

ha! she loved your blog, but absolutely loved my comment...

and i'll post later, but am at present concentrating on not being fired.

18 August, 2005 13:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here