Thursday, August 11, 2005

My tether. End of.

We had a small (by our standards) night out last night. A pint, then a curry, then back to the pub. We spent a satisfying hour watching a young office-type make a complete, drunken fool of himself in front of a older colleague - am not sure that obviously rubbing your (sober) girlfriend's crotch while a man who seems to consider himself your mentor fills you in on the basics of project management is necessarily the best way to get ahead in business, and it almost certainly earned him a night in the Spare Room. When we left the pub, he was lurching off to be sick, having spent ten minutes lying on a bench seat with his sweaty head in his girlfriend's lap, as she listened helplessly to Older Colleague filling her in on the basics of project management....

So, a good time was had by all, and the Other Half and I snuggled up in bed at about 11.30, keen to head off to dreamland. Except that apparently, Stephen Hawking lives in a different time zone to me, despite being in the adjoining flat. I've previously left a couple of polite notes asking for a reduction in volume after 11pm, which I don't think is unreasonable. It's not vague telly noise, it's like being at the cinema wearing one of those things advertised in the Sunday supplements that let you listen in to other people's conversations (as if the giant headphones and massive transmitter on your belt wouldn't alert them...). At 12.15am I retreated to Small Person's room (she's at her Dad's). Nope - could still hear every word of dialogue. So at 12.30am, I found myself once more sleeping in my own living room, squished onto a two-seater sofa with Small Person's duvet. The Other Half, who could happily sleep standing up on a busy airport runway, snoozed on in the bedroom. I rejoined him at 3.30am when I could no longer stand the sofa, and was relieved to find that Mr H had given up and switched the fucking thing off. So today I am tired, grumpy and have a back and neck ache.

Which makes this the perfect mood for me to compose note #3. Any suggestions?

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave chimed in with...

'Dear Sir,

If you don't keep the noise down, I will write about you on my blog, and the whole world will know about you.'

Works for me.

11 August, 2005 12:22  
Blogger car01 chimed in with...

Re linky thing:

[a href="http://dflatchimebar.blogspot.com/2005/07/long-dark-teatime-of-soul.html"]Stephen Hawking[/a] will work (but you'll need to replace the square brackets [] with pointy ones <>

Re note for neighbour:

may I suggest C sharp?

(I have no idea what C sharp sounds like, and nor will Dave, but I like the sound of it, if you see what I mean)

11 August, 2005 13:11  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

every day's a school day...carol, you are a genius

11 August, 2005 13:37  
Blogger car01 chimed in with...

Well, naturally :)

11 August, 2005 13:43  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

how lovely. along with Stephen Hawking (who has been eerily quiet the last couple of nights, but i'm sure he's lulling me into a false sense of security while he sets up his home cinema system), i also have the deaf downstairs neighbours (but they're under my living room and go to bed at 10, the other downstairs neighbours with the son that smokes so much grass it's like living in an amsterdam coffee shop; and farting man, whose bedroom is above mine and who likes to start each day (7am, regular as clockwork) with a resounding guff.

wouldn't life be nicer without so many people in it.

15 August, 2005 09:26  
Blogger Dave chimed in with...

I have a car park one side, football pitch the other. At the back (abour 20 yards away) a railway line, and in front a community centre (read hang-out for town's teenagers after 11 pm, as it's outside CCTV coverage).

So no neighbours actually in the building, but plenty of varied noises from outside.

15 August, 2005 10:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here