Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Oh dear.

I wonder sometimes why I get so horribly het up over the smallest of things. Maybe it’s my control-freak tendencies running away with me. I realise of course that it’s not rational to expect everyone else to conform to my idea of acceptability, but sometimes I just wish they’d try a bit harder. The reason this has come up today is that I have just seen a grown woman with sticky labels on the soles of her shoes. This is, without a doubt, the worst sort of label crime (slightly lower on the scale of evil is people wandering about, oblivious, with giant labels sticking out of their neckline, or, more horribly, their waistline) and I just fail to see why it occurs. If you buy, say, a new pair of trousers you’re probably going to cut the tags out before you wear them. Your telly isn’t in the corner of the room, resplendent in its polystyrene corners and that weird stuff that isn’t fabric but isn’t plastic that is draped over the screen in the box. When you go swimming, are you constantly adjusting your swimmers because you’ve left that revolting hygiene strip in the crotch (am I alone in finding that vile? Why is it better for me to touch a sticky label that other people have rubbed their parts on than to simply wash a swimsuit before wearing it, thereby eliminating the possibility of inadvertently coming into contact with a stranger’s vag?)….I think not. So why, on purchasing a shiny beautiful new pair of shoes, do people not take the fucking labels off the bottoms before wearing them? There’s a woman in my office who (and this is how sad I am – it’s stuck in my memory) came to work one winter morning looking absolutely immaculate. Except when she turned and walked away all I could see were the great big stickers on the soles of her boots announcing that she was a size seven and that they weren’t actually leather. Shame on her. Shame on all of you. And if I sneak up behind you in town and tuck your label back into your t-shirt, you’ve only got yourselves to blame.

I really, really need to get out more. Or less. Or something.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna chimed in with...

I'm with you on the labels on shoes thing. I check mine fastidiously. I don't cut the labels out of my clothes though - oh no! do I need to do that?

26 July, 2005 11:23  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

i'm not that bad...just make sure they stay tucked in!!!

26 July, 2005 11:24  
Blogger car01 chimed in with...

Ooh, I'm all the way with you there. There was a huge dilemma at the weekend: should I cut the tag off the skirt which goes around my bed before washing it or not? (the tag is one of those Tyvek ones which would wash perfectly well, and has that "Do not smoke near this thing if you want to wake up alive" symbols on it, which means it's impossible to sell on or give away). I cut it off, figuring that I wouldn't want anyone to be having my gorgeous bed-skirt thing.

26 July, 2005 12:12  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

What it could be useful for?

04 January, 2006 18:10  
Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

Hi there,

I think the main problem with labels on soles of shoes is that they are a pain 2 peel off. Ok sometimes they will peel off no problem which is great, but other times, they only half peel of and your left with half peeled sticky labels on your soles of your new shoes without a clue how to remove the rest of it. Quick suggestion, i found this webpage on removing sticky labels and it has been a great help, if anyone has a problem with their stubborn labels i suggest they take a look at this webpage.

29 April, 2008 09:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here