Monday, July 25, 2005

Burglary and banana hammocks

I was going to post last night, but after a day which involved lunch with my mother (the emotional equivalent of being hit repeatedly in the face with a sock full of wet sand), cuddling a new baby and sitting through the ninety-minute showing-off-fest that is Madagascar at the cinema (with Small Person on my lap throughout, mainlining m&m's and occasionally kicking my shins) I just didn't have the mental energy. It was a quiet yet eventful weekend, which saw the Other Half borrowing a ladder from Drop Dead Fred as we..well, ok, me had locked us out of the flat. The sight of the Other Half disappearing head first through my bedroom window cheered Small Person no end - we'd previously had her elbow-deep in the letterbox trying to open the door, and I'd lightly threatened her with having to go throught the window herself if the Other Half couldn't fit. She should think herself lucky that we don't have a chimney. The rest of the day passed in a happy haze of park, car cleaning and listening to the DDF's bellowing, screaming and slamming doors into the early evening when they either passed out or stabbed each other to death with corkscrews.

So anyway, I'll post summat proper later. I am currently fending off a mental image of Small Person teaching the other kids at her relentlessly middle-class holiday club the phrase "banana hammock", which the Other Half taught her yesterday and which has delighted her ever since.

How lovely.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous chimed in with...

I think 'taught' is slightly over stating the case...I was making random statements to fit in with the bizarre conversation that was being had and inadvertently made use of the offending phrase. To be fair, the minute it left my lips and the laughter it caused in Small Person told me it was a faux pas of immense magnitude !!!

25 July, 2005 12:17  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

maybe next week you could move up the scale slightly and teach the phrase "titwank". or maybe "turd burglar". That sort of thing goes down a storm with the Montessori set.....

25 July, 2005 12:23  
Blogger Donna chimed in with...

This is probably the wrong (most public) place to confess this - but I don't know what a banana hammock is .... I'm guessing a jock strap or some similar item? It's okay - I'm always the one who stands up and asks the embarassing/stoopid question ...

25 July, 2005 13:59  
Blogger surly girl chimed in with...

jockstraps, speedos, tighty whities......all of the above. Mind you, I've never sent her to school with a corkscrew in her bag so maybe we don't do so badly.....

25 July, 2005 15:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter
Counters Who Links Here